Mayor Sylvester Turner and Harris County Judge Ed Emmett were among those turning out to celebrate the $15 million renovation of the six-acre park in the Upper Kirby District.
It was a neighborly affair with the law firm providing libations and nearby Kiran’s sending up hors d’oeuvres. The event honored a 15-year collaboration between the Upper Kirby Redevelopment Authority, Foundation and Management District; the City of Houston Parks and Recreation Department; Midway Companies; the office of James Burnett with Natalye Appel + Associates; Burton Construction; Gunda Corporation; and Biederman Redevelopment Ventures.
Approximately 7,500 people came out to celebrate the Grand Re-Opening of Levy Park on Feb. 25 in the Upper Kirby District, over the course of the all-day celebration, with many showing up well before the 10 a.m. start.
This was the official unveiling of the two-year, $15 million renovation of Levy Park, first deeded to the city of Houston by Houston philanthropist Leon Levy in 1941. A steady stream of people of all ages and backgrounds (along with many dogs) poured into Levy Park all day long to check out the vast array of amenities and exciting activities. A VIP ribbon cutting ceremony was held between 11 a.m. and noon, which included members of Leon Levy’s extended family.